Monday, February 2, 2015

Feb. 2/Groundhog Day

Just now getting around to my weekly blog that I had intended to write before the weekend, but our days ended up being kinda busy. I have a little time now while 2 of them are down for naps, and the other one is at school.

We were finally feeling the effects of having a newborn last week. Maybe because everyone including Max was fighting a nasty cold, or maybe because, well...we have a newborn. Either way, we were a tad bit sleep deprived and grouchy. 

Ted had some successful rocket engines turn out well with his new technique he's using for pouring the propellant. Also, if anyone is reading this and would like to nerd out with him and talk all things rockets, that would really make his day!

I had 2 art shows over the weekend that I had submitted pieces for. The Love gnome in the picture from the last post is on display at the Lawrence Percolator, which I haven't even been down to see yet. It will be up until the end of February sometime. And then I had all my needle felted gnome tapestries on display (or in pictures) at the Lawrence Creates Makerspace Final Friday event. I decided to stay for the party at the event, and I met a ton of new fiber artists from the community. It was inspiring to say the least. I even talked with a lady who uses Spoonflower, to create her own fabric. That's definitely something that I would like to get into. Ted and I have several doodles that we've kept in a binder that I think would make some fantastic gift wrap!

My aunt Bev, uncle Gordon, and  my parents came to visit us Saturday afternoon. They all swooned over Max, and I played them some songs on the fiddle. I learned the D scale this week, so I'm able to play a few "harder" songs now. Practice is going well, but it seems like whenever I master one thing, I neglect something else that I'm suppose to be doing. Like this week, I was doing much better with playing a clearer tone, but instead having trouble keeping my bow in the middle of the strings (in between the string adjusters and bridge) so the notes were sounding extremely off. Ugh, so much to think about at the same time! My teacher said that the fiddle/violin is the hardest instrument to learn after the organ. I'm starting to believe her.

I had an epic haircutting experience this weekend. Nevermind the embarrassing part about waiting in line at a barber shop forever and then being told they don't usually cut women's hair...that's a story for another time! But more importantly a whole 2 inches was chopped off! It needed to be done though.. all of my split ends were very uneven, and it was making it hard to "mess" with. I suppose after going 3 years without a haircut, I would eventually need to do some maintenance, but it was still a little sad for me.

Ted and I are trying to stay social, and we managed to go on a date...got a babysitter for all 3 kids, and went out for 4 hours with some friends this week. Oh Merchants...how I've missed you! If you didn't know, Merchants is one of our favorite craft beer serving places in this town. We also hosted a wing night on Saturday, and after putting the kiddos to bed we had a great game of Settler's of Catan.

Oh, and get this...we watched the Super Bowl last night. Ted was able to stream our computer to the t.v. so we could see it live. We made popcorn, ordered a pizza, and drank beers. We're so American!

It sounds like Finn is waking up from his nap. I'm going downtown to Doodlebugs and A.T.C. before picking up Briggs so I better get to it. Laterz ya'll.
Ooops... I mean Fare Thee Well,
jaylyn




No comments:

Post a Comment

Morehice Meet-up

It's a new year, and I do feel refreshed and energized! I think that's partly due to this past week of reflection, rest...